Monday 8 August 2016

Farm Dairy, Day One, Episode Two


After the bus paparazzi at the faculty this morning, we got to the farm centre few minutes to ten where we received a talk on safety from the deputy director. He spoke about ensuring to be in our farm suit and boot always. This will protect most of our body parts most especially the leg from being injured either by animals or our tools.
The professor ended his talk with a greeting from the director as he walked out of the room. Our farm coordinator came in with some A4 papers in which we've been grouped in a manner I can't fathom. Everyone listened attentively to the names of their group members while saying some sort of prayer in their subconscious like
"God please, let my group members be hardworking o"
"God please, let there be more guys in my group"
"God please, let my group members be better persons o"
I'm not a psychic or a kind of mind reader but I could tell from the countenance on people's faces and their reactions when they called each group out.
When names were called and people have a bad feeling about their members, they either stay silent or burst into a sarcastic laughter. As a person, immediately I heard Barry, Alfa Isiak and some other hardworking guys were in my group, I excitedly told Kemi, Olamide and Banke; my three friends "Babes, did you see that? My group is the best!" To myself, I said "JACKPOT!"
After grouping, we were led to the cassava field where we were allocated plots to work on. The plots were allocated by rows of heaps, one roll per person. We were to clear the weed in the cassava field.
"Excuse sir! Where are we to stop?" Someone asked and we got a heartbreaking reply, "Just keep going, you'd know where to stop, it's somewhere in the middle over there"
Hmmmmm, somewhere in the middle. Anyways, I started clearing at around 12:30pm and before I got to that middle, it was 2:30pm. Thanks to Barry and Alfa Isiak who helped me because at a point, my wrist was paining me from the swinging of cutlass, my palm too and I got blisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment