Monday 8 August 2016

Farm Diary: Day One


"Farm is starting on Monday", I told my folks through the weekend.

In the dawn's tranquility while I was sleeping and dreaming of the movie I saw last night, I heard a voice "come and follow me to go and pee". I rolled in my bed with my eyes still very heavy; it's Ayoola, my bestie, she's been staying with me for a while cause there's no light in her hostel. I stay in a room where I have to share toilet and bathroom with my with my neighbors so, I have a potty substitute that I use in my room in the midnight rather than go all the way out. Ayoola doesn't like to use it so every night she's been waking me to follow her go pee outside.

As I roll in bed, I asked her what the time was, it was 4:00am Monday morning! I had set my alarm to 4:30am last night, with the hope of rising by 5:00am since I know I can't rise to the call of an alarm at exactly the time set. I'd still snooze it to like 20minutes before I finally get up. I got up to follow her and when we got back to the room I told her to snooze my alarm till 5:00am but to the shock of a Monday morning, I woke up to find out it was 6:12am.

I jumped up like WTF! I planned to leave home for farm as early as 7:00am of which by that time, I would have had my bath, cooked and eaten. What in heaven's name can I do with 48minutes? Well, Ayoola got up with me and went straight to cooking. We checked the keg for water but oops! There's none so I went round the hostel to tap some bowls of water. I took the water to her and tried to bath when I remembered we were going to eat just rice; No compliment? How awful!

I went out again, this time, in search for egg and yea! I came back with two eggs. I gave them to her and she made jollof rice and egg while I went to take my bath. I got back, dressed up without make up since we were told on the day of orientation that our make up and spray could be pheromones for some insects and if anyone does, I don't want to be a mating spot for some insects talkless of getting stung by bee.

Ayoola packed my food for me while I put some water in a bottle and set off to school. I got to the faculty to meet just a few mates at the park.
Where are they?
Where's the bus?
Did I just miss the farm bus? While I stood at the park with a blank face but a mind filled with panic, the other girls left for the Secretariat so, I picked my phone to make a call
"Hello Kemi, where are you?"
"Everyone's around the Secretariat, the bus hasn't arrived" said Kemi.
Oh! I sighed and headed towards them. Wait! I have my food in my bag but I forgot my spoon. Let me find a corner to work on this food before joining the crowd. Kemi is one of my closest friends in class. I don't do cliques but we are four ladies that move together almost every time.

Alright... I'll see you in the evening when I'm back so, anticipate.

Tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment