Tuesday 9 August 2016

My Farm Diary, Day Two

Is it just me or everyone?
Why is this week seeming to be so long?
How can today just be Tuesday?
Shouldn't it be Thursday already?
This were my thoughts as I walked down the busy street of Ede road where my hostel is.

My dad has been trying to teach me the habit of waking up early that I usually get scolded for oversleeping almost everyday but with this farm year, I think I don't need a teacher or trainer before I get up early. I got up from bed today at 4: 30am. I washed the dishes used last night, prepared spaghetti, fried plantain and swept my room and I was done with my chores by 6:00am. Since the night was somewhat short, I laid back in bed till 6:40am after which I dressed up, ate and ran off to school.

Unlike yesterday, the bus arrived early and so, I got to farm 8:30am, went straight into the farm centre to take attendance. According to our coordinator, attendance is a major part of farm year and I do not wish to miss a day. From there I went to my allocated plot which I could bare identify. Someone had uprooted the injured cassava that was there. I was scared because if that person happen to be the supervisor, I'm in for it but then I'm really glad the person which wasn't the supervisor did, cause it would have caused him to either scold me or give me a low grade.

"Dami, come over here."
"Oh! Blessing, what's up? You have something for me?"
"Yes."
It was Blessing, the owner of the plot before mine. She was at the other end of the field so, I went to meet her. Come on! You need to see how neat this girl's work is. She had packed all the weeds on her ridge and neatly placed them in the middle. At that point, I knew that if I didn't get an A grade in that course, it's either the supervisor is a deliberately wicked being or 'that's how God planned it'. That's always my consolation whenever I get a result less than my expectation.

Since Blessing already set a cut off mark, I got on to clear my own ridge as neat as hers even though there eventually remained some little sprouts I overlooked because I cannot come and kill myself. The motivation to work increased whenever people pass by our plot and make comments like _"haha! These people are over efficient o. Do they want to sleep on it?"Someone even asked if it was broom we used to sweep it.

I finished my duty around 10:30am  and I must let you know that Blessing was still working at that time. In fact while she who got there before me was half way done, I was already through even though I returned twice to clean again. Whenever I go back to check how far she's gone and I realize my plot isn't neat enough, I pick my hoe and cutlass and set to work again.

"Hey Blessing! See I'm going jor."
Even though I've said that twice before, I meant in this time around and so, I went back to the farm centre where we take lectures and rest. I thought we would be allowed to leave since some of us were done but as it was, the supervisor said no one should leave until it's 1:30pm. Different aroma of food filled the room, people taking lunch while we waited for 1:30pm. As for me, I'm a really great cook, if i bring my own food, everyone will want to dine with me because the aroma is going to be so strongly sweet so, while I wait, I lent an earpiece and continued the movie I was seeing the night before.

See ya tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment